For those that don’t already know, the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games takes place in April next year. I’m very fortunate in that Guernsey, the small island in which I have lived all my life is able to send 30 athletes across all sports.
Cycling, arguably one of the most competitive sports on the island has a total of 8 athletes, men/women road and MTB in contention for one of the 30 spots. The GCGA (Guernsey Commonwealth Games Association) has set a tough yet achievable criteria for all cyclists to meet.
Road has two criteria paths. You can qualify either through Time Trialing or road racing. Completion of either path allows the athlete to compete in both the road race and the time trial. See below criteria.
- A top 10 English rider finish in either of Cycling Time Trials 10 mile, 25 mile or Circuit National Championships to be achieved on two occasions with at least one being in the last twelve months of the qualifying period ending 31 October 2017
- A top 30 English rider finish for men or a top 20 English rider finish for women in either of Cycling Time Trials 10 mile, 25 mile or 50 mile National Championship to be achieved on two occasions with at least one being in the last twelve months of the qualifying period ending 31 October 2017.
Any of the following:
- Two top 10 place in a UK Premier Calendar, French Cat 1 or 2 event or British Cycling National Championships Road Race. Two top 10 place in a UCI 1.2/ 2.2 event/ stage. At least one of the above will need to be achieved during the 2017 race season.
- To be riding as a professional for a team classified under the UCI as Continental, Pro-Continental, or World Tour Team.
- To achieve an Elite road racing British Cycling licence.
Any of the following:
- Two top 30 place in Premier Calendar, French Cat 1 or 2 event or British Cycling National Championships Road Race.
- Two top 30 place in a UCI 1.2/ 2.2 event/ stage. At least one of the above will need to be achieved during the 2017 race season.
- 1st Category road racing British Cycling licence.
The qualification process started over a year ago. My first qualifying event was the RTTC National 50 Mile Time Trial on the 12th June 2016. Since then I have done three more qualifiers. The RTTC National 25 TT on the 7th August 2016, RTTC National Circuit TT Championships on 11th June 2017 and the National 25 TT on 6th August 2017.
Results as follows:
- National 50 TT 2016 – 22nd
- National 25 TT 2016 – 22nd
- National Circuit TT 2017 – 9th
- National 25 TT 2017 – 19th
This translates as three ‘Second Considerations’ and one ‘First Consideration’. (3 x B, 1 x A) Priority is given to those athletes who have achieved two ‘First Considerations’.
I have now completed all my qualifying events and awaiting confirmation from the GCGA on whether I’ve made the cut, wish me luck!